I’ve been traveling for business and then I needed to catch up on the home clean up so we haven’t been able to write. However, we have had lots of progress.
It had been raining every other day and we really took a big chance. The front page of the July 9 Daily Oklahoma read, “Record Flooding hits Oklahoma City” and the south side of OKC did have record flooding on July 8, however, we didn’t get a drop at the home. The crane was a bit of overkill for the job (it’s usually used to build large wind turbines).
By 3:00pm on July 8, we realized we would not be able to set all the trusses, however, we were able to lift all the trusses onto the framing and exterior walls. This way we did not need to have a return trip for the crane. The crews did a great job.
This photo was taken on Tuesday, July 13 and shows that the roof trusses were in place and the crew was working on decking the 1000 sq ft of flat roof (40 ft x 25 ft) to be used for solar panels.
We used Huber Zip System Roof Sheathing for the roof deck. Put it on, tape the joints and you’re dried in. The crew said the decking was slippery and they complained of blisters because the red color makes the decking hot. Huber should consider making the product a lighter color.
A view from the back showing the parapet wall around the flat roof. That wall is covered in Huber Zip System Wall Sheathing. It also shows the roof decking after the seams have been taped. So we used Huber products for roof decking, floor decking and wall sheathing. If we had it to do again, we would use regular 5/8” floor decking and we would use regular roof decking. I don’t know if the Huber products were installed incorrectly or if the extreme temperatures affected the product, but the roof decking and the floor decking both leaked a lot.
Inside we have started working on the heat and air system. On the floor you can see the Arch-Tec arches. We are using arches in all the nooks, above both doors to the master bathroom, in the dining room and over the bathtub in the girls bathroom and the guest bathroom.
We have placed all the appliance installation instructions on the studs where the appliances will be installed. This helps the subs know all the requirements.
We continue to haul off and weigh each bag of trash. As of August 21, 413 lbs of trash have been sent to the landfill from the project. In this bag is a lot of plastic used to wrap the duct work. By far the majority of the trash has been generated from what the workers eat for lunch. We are reclaiming the aluminum cans, plastic bottles, cardboard, metal, pallets and copper from wiring scrape.
On August 25 and 26 Gary Rollins and the rest of the crew from Grandview Windows and Doors installed the windows. We are very pleased with their work and the Weathershield windows. We used double hung throughout the home except for a large casement window in the master bedroom. We choose the Zo-E Shield 5 energy efficient glass and the windows are fiberglass clad for even more energy efficiency. For more information on the windows see our product specifications.
On August 26, Suzy went over the lighting and electrical plans with the builder, Mike Gilles and the lead electrician, Dex. They looked at the location of the switches, electrical outlets and the type of lights (cans, sconces, track lights etc.) We are using Juno cans with CREE CR6 LED lights for the majority of the homes lighting. We saw the CR6 lights at the International Home Builders Show in January and liked the color of the light. We don’t like the light color of florescent lights and were concerned about the color of the LED lights. The CR6 is a direct replacement for a 65 Watt 6-inch incandescent downlight and is dimmable to 5 percent with most standard incandescent dimmers. Delivering 575 lumens and using just 10.5 Watts, the new fixture is designed to last 50,000 hours and features a 5-year warranty.
Comfort Works has been installing the ClimateMaster geothermal heat and air systems as well as the duct work. We are using a two zone system (upstairs and downstairs) and the thermostat has 4 remote sensors so the home temperature is measured in 5 places and averaged. They are also installing an Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV) to provide adequate fresh air to the home. This is necessary because of the tight envelop of the home.
We are recording the temperature inside and outside the home every two hours. This shows the inside temperature at 79 degrees while the outside temperature is 90 degrees and the outdoor wind speed is 11.4 mph. The home seems to be holding the temperature quite well even without any doors.
The electricians from Hayes Electric expect to finish the electrical work before the end of September. We are gathering all the scrap wire and stripping out all the copper for recycle or Suzy and our daughters may take the copper and make a wind sculpture.
The cabinets are all ordered from Miller’s Cabinet shop in Millersburg, Ohio. My parents have been working with the owner, Roman Miller, to work out all the details. The majority of the cabinet doors will be made of knotty hickory with a few cabinets made with maple and some painted cabinets (craft room) made with brown maple. We have measured each cabinet dimension at least four times. We have also laid out the central vacuum system.